Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Valencia 846B speakers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member hoosier1's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 4th, 2007
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello folks,

    I am looking for any upgrades for these speakers. One of the things I've considered is bi-amping with ss on the woofs and a SET on the horns.

    However, my speakers have the sealed back. How does one get into these for any mods?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Jim

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Valencia 846B speakers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    You can pull the woofer and go in that way.

    On mine, I can just pull the crossover and have access to all 4 wires.

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim if I remember correctly the woofer baffle comes off. this might be helpful if you need to add additional bracing etc.I also have a pair of valencia cabs that I will like to Biamp. I have a Mac ss for the Bass and I recently purchased a Dynaco 35 (tube) for the horns (sweet little amp). Rane 22 crossover.
    The cab only has the woofers 416-8b&z original to the cab and I wanted to use 902-8B drivers on Mantaray horns the ones used in the mod 14 's instead of the original. Purchased the horns and drivers but they perished in transit.
    I have no scientific support for my choice of speakers for this system. I just think they will sound good. I also think I will need to raise them 12- 15 inches they seem to be a bit low in comparison to where I will sit to listen.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Valencia 846B speakers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Tranquil:
    Jim if I remember correctly the woofer baffle comes off.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Interesting- my set has the newer frame and front mounted. The baffle is permanent.

    Mine MAY be home made- if so a good job.

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OG I checked my cabs after reading your reply. My baffles do come off and the woofers are mounted from the inside.
    T

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Valencia 846B speakers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    NP- just wondering- mine look factory made, but I've always wondered if they actually were.

    It would be evidence they aren't if all the baffles were removable.

    Or wondering if it's just different years?

    Altec changed things around occasionally.

    My drivers are not OEM style, they have full cosmetics. That may be an indication mine are homemade. Doesn't really matter, they look good and sound good, all I need.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.